Friday, November 5, 2010

Planning Ahead

Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few

I try to write my posts at least one day ahead so I can give them time to ferment.  I proofread them before final posting in an attempt to insure (or ensure or assure) I don't sound too much like an idiot, haven't made some atrocious grammatical error or totally misspelled everything in the blog.  All of that is for naught, because no sooner than I click "publish post" and I find 14 errors and realize that nothing I have written actually makes any sense.  I will go back and correct spelling or truly gross grammatical faults, but once it's published I don't try to change the content of my post.  That would pretty much defeat the purpose of writing this fool thing, if there actually is any purpose.


I would like to get several posts ahead, particularly for days like today.  It's raining again.  We still haven't gotten the roof replaced.  My head is splitting and my brains feel like mush that is slowly seeping out my ears.   And, I am being serenaded by the steady and incredibly annoying plink, plonk, plunk as the drips from the ceiling hit the bowls I set under the leaks to keep from drowning the carpet.  It's a very radical decorating scheme for those of you with avant-garde leanings.  If it continues to rain as often as it has lately, I don't have a clue when we will be able to get the roof replaced.   I don't look forward to that time anyway.  I mean seriously.  Would you like to be trapped in a house with a flock of humanity walking overhead, banging with hammers and such, and three dogs barking constantly because they want to play with the roofers?


But, try as I might, I don't get ahead.  I will publish this post tomorrow, but there won't be another on standby.  I'll have to create another tomorrow to post for the next day, so why don't I just write them and post them all on the same day.  Because, I don't have faith in my ability to communicate.  When I started writing this blog, I said to myself, "Okay, just write what you are feeling.  No one's gonna read it anyway, so it doesn't matter what you write.  Get it outta your system and make yourself feel better."   But now, I care whether anyone reads it.  I care whether it is sensible and well written.  And it does make me feel better, but I think I've gotten a bit of an addiction to it.  I'm having fun writing it, but I shouldn't try to be philosophical on days when it is raining.  What a stupid life, having to mold my existence around the weather.


At some point I am gonna have to pick a direction and go with it.  I don't know if that will work though.  Sure I published those Navy stories sequentially, but nothing else is in any kind of order.  And I haven't finished with the Navy; I've merely set it aside until ... until ... well, I don't know until when.  Some bloggers have an editor.  Do I need an editor?  If so, what does the editor do?  Do I have to pay this person?  If so, then it isn't likely there will be an editor because disability benefits don't go very far.  Should I try to be funny?  I think I'm more than a little weird and view the world differently than most people, but I don't think I'm a comedian.  I would like to write like Erma Bombeck, or Dave Barry or Andy Rooney, but to me it seems they are all so much more clever.  I'm not a curmudgeon but often I am more than a little bit cynical.  I really don't think I should "try" to be anything other than who or what I am, but sometimes that person is really boring.


Ah well.  The weekend is coming.  The Breeder's Cup races are being telecast this weekend.  We enjoy horse racing and have attended the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore almost every year since 1977.  Tim and his father used to own horses and kept them stabled in a barn that has recently been transmogrified into Tim's back yard.  The barn, the horses and unfortunately Tim's dad are gone.  But, Bud and I will go over to Tim and Ann's tomorrow to watch some of the races, cook (not me or Ann, but you already knew that), eat, drink, and all the other things we do on a typical weekend.  That means I probably won't write anything tomorrow after all, and maybe not Sunday either.  There's no law that says I have to post something every day.


Maybe I'll wait until some day I feel particularly prolific and just spend a whole day writing.  Then I'll have a few stuck away in the nooks and I can pull them out on rainy days.

5 comments:

  1. I just want you to know I read your blog regularly. My job can get the best of me and sometimes it will be a few days but I do read everything. I love reading your blog because I get to know you as the family I never knew, whether you talk about your Jersey years (which I did most of my growing up and never knew until I met your brother Harry & Sarah any family lived there),or your family, or your Navy years. My Granddaddy was in the Navy but he didnt talk about it. Since I'm a girl he didn't talk much about anything I guess he was always more invloved with my brothers because that was his comfort zone. I didnt know much of my family from this side growing up due to family drama and I am enjoying getting to know what I missed and getting to know you. I know you still don't know me from Adam and could probably not pick me out of a crowd but you make sense so don't worry about feeling as if your rambling on. You don't have to be perfect just be you! My mother is an English teacher so I can understand the grammar thing. And if you're anything like my grandmother (your Aunt Francis)she was slightly OCD. I know I inherited that from her (so has my Dad lol). I also always worry about what people think and when this is yours and yours alone you should be able to freely flow with your thoughts so write away! Writer's block is normal so yes you will have days but just be you, from what I'm reading you have been through allot, conquered allot of obstacles (& still are) but staying true to yourself. If I'm wrong please correct me. Just know someone is reading and enjoying what you write:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Rachel. I would know you if I passed you on the street. I knew your grandfather was in the Navy because I remember Aunt Francis (I never know how to spell that name. It is supposed to be Francis for males and Frances for females, but often that isn't the case) and Uncle Mark being stationed in Hawaii when I was very young. I also, vaguely remember something about a daughter dying from leukemia. I wish we had all had a chance to know each other better, but at least we are getting a bit of a chance now. You didn't miss much by not knowing my father. But my mother and your grandmother were great friends. I'm glad you read my blog. Interestingly, I was thinking just this morning of writing about OCD. Oh, yes. I have it in spades, but some of my meds keep it almost in check. I have been through a lot, but I think many people have horror stories they must learn to live with. Writing is one way I can live with mine. Humor is another. I try to find humor in everything, but sometimes that just isn't possible. I don't know your parents very well, but I have the utmost respect for them and what they are accomplishing. My family means more to me each day, even with all their idiosyncrasies and quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you're trying to plan ahead. I admire that determination. I'm always happy if I can make my bed in the morning, never mind plan posts for the week ahead! You are like a blogging super hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. transmogrified? Is that a word, really? Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Wendy it's really a word. I learned it by reading my favorite cartoon -- Calvin and Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete