Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spoon Theory

My sister sent me an email with a link today.  It was the first thing I saw when I cranked up my computer, because I always go to email first and to stuff from my sisters before anything else.  I clicked on the link and it opened a two page document that was in very small print.  As I started today with only half my allotment of spoons (I hope you will understand this analogy later), I was tempted to just close it and read it later if I got around to it.  But something made me start reading and before I was half-way through the first page I knew I had to read the whole thing, and read it right that very minute.


I do not have Lupus; I have SCDS.  These two issues are completely different but share a number of symptoms.  This short little two-page post is the best description I could ever imagine of what it is like to live with something that controls every aspect of your daily life.  I am posting the link here.  I hope you will take the time to read it.  I don't look like I'm disabled.  In the future, this is how I will explain who I am now, why I do or don't do the things I do or don't do, and how I try to deal with the cards I've been dealt.


But You Don't Look Sick

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Carla, One of my friends from high school(her brother dated my sister) he was diagnosed with MS this week. My computer has been down for almost 2 weeks and I just got it back. This theory about the spoons will come in handy and I now understand a little more about how your day might go. I am hoping it will come in handy for him too. Although the conditions might be different they do effect how you go about your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok- Wow- great article thanks

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete