Friday, January 14, 2011

No fish today

Well, as it's Friday, maybe there should be fish today. When we were younger, we had a stepfather who was an extremely nonparticipating Catholic.  I do not believe he ever set foot in a church in the entire time he was a part of our lives, though I suspect a lot of people have been known to pray at the local bar.  So, coincidentally and appropriately, when we lived in Baltimore, one of our favorite hangouts was a pub named No Fish Today.   My mother's father was a Southern Baptist (and they are very different from regular Baptists) minister, and I was baptized in a Southern Baptist church.  Once we moved to New Jersey (which is the same time we acquired said stepfather), I don't think any of us did much in the way of going to church.  However, for reasons that totally escape me, my mother insisted we had to eat fish on Friday because our stepfather was Catholic.  I'm not complaining.  I loved fish then, and I love it now.  I'd eat fish or seafood every day of the week.  I just found it odd that we practiced this custom.  And, it is my understanding the no meat on Friday restriction has been rescinded by the Catholics.


This post is not about Friday or fish or meat.  It's really about no post today.  I don't have enough time to write today.  We are going to Asheville for the weekend and plan to meet up with my nephew Rob and his wife Bette and their daughters Abby and Katie.  Rob and his family and Rob's sister Shell and her husband have only recently come back into our lives.  We are thrilled.  The story of where they have been and why is not mine to tell, but I may devote a post to my peripheral side of it.  The fact is, they are back in our lives and I, for one, want to take every opportunity to make up for lost time.  As we'll be gone all weekend, it isn't likely I'll have time to write much.  Have a good weekend and be safe.

2 comments:

  1. No Fish was founded by two school teachers.

    They had originally planned a restaurant called Seaton's Habit, the place had been used for storage by the local seminary, so the strange, religious statues and lamps that gave it a Gothic atmosphere were just things left behind.

    Bars in Baltimore had dress codes, jeans were banned. The new owners allowed jeans, and the crowds were huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and to clear up a point-the place did NOT burn to the ground, the building still stands. Damage from the fire was not extensive, however one of the owners, who had a penchant for arson, assembled a large fire bomb on the second floor.

    He was a foolish man-the device misfired and the insurance company refused to pay. That was the end of the place.

    Irony of ironies, when next it opened, it was a tropical fish store.

    ReplyDelete