Thursday, September 30, 2010

And I always loved amusement park rides

Whenever I think things just couldn't get worse, somehow they do!  I don't wanna complain.  (Oh yes I do or why would I be typing this?  By the way, is it still called typing?  Or is it keyboarding now?  That sounds too much like snowboarding, which would absolutely be disastrous in my case.  I'm fairly good at typing since I've been doing it regularly for 50 years.  One would hope after 50 years a person might have developed some degree of expertise.)  Okay, back to me not complaining, or more precisely complaining but not acknowledging it.  It is still raining, which is good for the water table but not so good for my head.  I still have yesterday's headache.  It's not any worse, and I dare not say it couldn't get worse, but it is still echoing through my skull with a vengeance along with each beat of my heart.

So to add to my misery, while I was drugged and asleep last night, someone (it couldn't have been God, I don't think He is vengeful) ramped up the speed on my personal merry-go-round.  Another goofy part of SCDS is that just when you think you have adjusted to actually feeling the rotation of the earth, it all speeds up and you are totally screwed once again.  Today's post will be short and random, because today my mind is not the only part of me going off in unpredictable tangents.

Until I got SCDS (but I don't think this is something you  just "catch") I had never suffered any motion sickness for any reason.  I loved roller coasters -- the bigger and faster, the better.  Bud and I used to ride roller coasters over and over, moving to different seat locations each time to get a better "feel" for the ride.  I loved all the rides; the screaming swings, the log flume, the bullet, the tilt-a-whirl.  Which brings to mind another story.  Once many years ago I lived in Austell, Georgia which is a little town just to the west of Atlanta.  It is also almost within walking distance of Six Flags Over Georgia.  At that same time, my sister Cathy and her husband George lived in Atlanta (well actually Decatur, but you tell me where one ends and the other begins).  One day we all decided to go to Six Flags.    No one bothered to tell me George sometimes had problems with motion sickness.  I, of course,  insisted everyone go on the tilt-a-whirl because it was one of my favorite rides.  So here we are, the three of us in one car, George in the middle between Cathy and me.  The ride starts up and George almost immediately starts to turn colors and it wasn't the result of any colored flashing lights on the ride.  First he went remarkably pale, then he started to have a slightly jaundiced look, and finally the man literally turned green around the edges.  I thought it was poor form to wait until he was about to spew all over his loving wife and sister-in-law before he mentioned his motion sickness problem.  And Cathy's reaction to this impending disaster?  She calmly says, "Oh yea, I forgot George gets sick on rides like this."  Now this was before Cathy decided she wanted to be a doctor when she grew up, but that is still no excuse.  She was a Registered Nurse and she had been married to George for a few years.  All's well that ends well, so the cliché goes, and George did manage to keep it together until the ride ended, for which I am eternally grateful.  I may have been a bit of a thrill seeker, but it's a good thing Cathy went into medicine and not me.  I don't handle tossed cookies very well.

Also while I lived in Austell, I worked for a company that taught people all they needed to know to pass the written tests for a pilot's license.  All of the instructors were licensed pilots, and eventually the company began pilot training in the air too.  Since I worked there and could get lessons at a seriously reduced price (it may have helped that I was dating one of the instructors), I decided to learn to fly.  Flying in a small, single engine airplane does not even come close to being in a giant airliner when it comes to the thrills and chills of moving through the atmosphere.  You feel everything in a small plane, you see so much more, and the sensation of flying is acutely personal and intense.  I never experienced even one second of motion sickness while flying, no matter the wind conditions or the weather.  How unjust that now just opening my eyes on days like today will make me sick.

Another interesting note that has nothing to do with today's subject.  A few days ago I mentioned my subscription to Boxerjam, where I enjoy solving the puzzles.  I also mentioned that Boxerjam had been having some issues lately and I was not exactly pleased with the value I was receiving for my money.  I received an email from Boxerjam in which they acknowledged the problems they have been experiencing and extended my paid subscription for 90 days in an effort to appease those of us who might have been a bit put out.  I appreciate the gesture.  I hope they solve their problems.  I would also like to think someone "important" read my blog and that's how the reparation plan came to be.  I know it is mere coincidence, but it doesn't hurt anyone if I pretend.

I was going to write about dogs today.  I have a lot to say about dogs (and cats), but I would much rather write about them when I am feeling better.  Right now, I'm gonna take my three babies and we are all gonna curl up in bed and hide under the covers until the sun comes out.  The forecast is for clearing skies around noon.   We all know how often the weather forecast is right, but I'm an eternal optimist.  I'll poke my head out later today and expect the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment