Thursday, September 23, 2010

Well ya gotta start somewhere --

I'm supposed to be writing a book.  I've always said I would write a book.  Many others have said I should write a book.  You're supposed to write about things you know.  So my life would be the obvious choice.  Except I'm not really sure I know everything I think I know about my life.  A lot of it is hearsay, or stories that were passed on to me by members of my family or close friends of my mother's.  Even I find a lot of my life to be unbelievable, and better suited for fiction.  Then there's my family.  Should I change their names to protect the innocent?  Are they really innocent?  Would changing their names be of any value since I'm not going to change my name?  Maybe I should start with something simpler -- like my imagination.  Now there is a very strange place.  My imagination, that is.  Once upon a time there were a million stories rattling around in there.  Now that I'm older, most of them have fallen by the wayside and I find myself not nearly so clever or entertaining.  So, here I am writing a blog.


blog (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):  A blog (a blend of the term web log) is a type of website or part of a website.  Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.  Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order.  Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.


We'll see where this goes.  I've always thought bloggers were rather pretentious.  I mean, seriously!  Why would anyone actually care about the drivel I write?  I'm not even sure I care all that much about it.  But who knows?  Let's start with reality, which may edge into fiction and my imagination as we go along.  I have a condition called Superior Canal Dehiscense Syndrome (SCDS for short, of course).


dehiscence (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):  Dehiscence can refer to:
  • Dehiscence (botany) is the spontaneous opening at maturity of a plant structure, such as a fruit, anther, or sporangium, to release its contents.
  • Wound dehiscence is a previously closed wound reopening.  Total disintegration of mechanical bonding of wounds brought about by influences not totally understood.  Signs and symptoms of wound dehiscence:  open incision, serous oozing and wound pain.
  • Superior canal dehiscence in which a new window opens in the labyrinth of the inner ear, resulting in a form of vertigo.

It's a problem with the supposedly solid bone structure covering the inner ear.  Mine isn't so solid it turns out, and there are openings into my inner ear that aren't supposed to be there.  The result is lot like having vertigo all day every day.  Not pleasant under the best of circumstances; unbearable under the worst circumstances.  


What this actually means is that most days I am relatively useless and unable to perform even the simplest of tasks requiring hand/eye coordination, dexterity or balance.  On really bad days, getting out of bed is a monumental problem and not really a very good idea.


I don't walk straight and appear to be drunk as I stagger about from Point A to Point B, often arriving at Point C inadvertently.  Interestingly, I have tried getting drunk to see if there would be any noticeable change.  There is not.  I cannot do regular housecleaning chores like dusting or cleaning bathrooms (and yes, this is a problem).  The movements involved almost always cause severe nausea and then my only option is to sit or lie down until the nausea passes.  It is my hope this blog will give me something constructive (well, that's definitely questionable) to do while sitting on my butt being useless.


Today, I have an appointment with the doctor in Chapel Hill who diagnosed my condition.  I'm assuming it's a six-month checkup kinda thing, since the appointment notification just came out of the blue (actually it arrived in the mail, but you know what I mean).  Maybe I'll have something more to say when I return.  That's pretty likely.  I am almost never without words.

1 comment:

  1. like how you added definitions- creative touch.

    ReplyDelete