Thursday, October 21, 2010

Catch up or Catsup or Ketchup

Today's post has nothing at all to do with the tomato based condiment.  Unfortunately, my brain is a mystery, even to me, and every time I write the words "catch up" I go wandering off in a query about which is the correct spelling for the stuff and why there are two totally distinct words for the same thing.  So I did some research this morning.  The controversy over the spelling actually made it to the Supreme Court, so obviously I'm not the only lunatic on the loose out here.  Apparently, the Supreme Court had problems with the squabble and opted to keep both spellings (by a vote of 5-4).  So, in my opinion, the discussion continues.  Just for the record, I prefer the flavor of Hunts (they spell it both ways depending upon where you live) to Heinz Ketchup.  There are countless web pages with great insight about the spelling for this sauce.


Now about catching up.  I didn't post yesterday for a number of reasons.  The first was that it was storming.  I tried going back to bed, but apparently dogs don't have any idioms about letting sleeping humans lie.  So, the going was slow, but I managed to accomplish a few things.


I finally have had meaningful communication with our tax accountant (when voicemail fails, use email with a copy to your hotheaded spouse) and we have figured out the problem and settled on a plan of action.  We do owe the IRS for an erroneous omission of income on our 2008 return.  We will file an amended return and make arrangements to pay the back taxes.  It will be a ginormous relief to get that settled.  The IRS is an agency no one even close to being in their right mind would want to be on the wrong side of.  (Sorry, I tried to rewrite that sentence so it wouldn't end in a preposition, but I couldn't get it to come out sounding sensible any other way.)


I spoke with a human at the North Carolina Employment Security Commission.  Actually, I spoke with a human on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The person on Tuesday told me to ignore everything and wait until I received further instructions.  The person on Wednesday was a bit more helpful.  She explained why they thought I owed them money (even though I was still eligible and still seeking employment), but said she would put in the paperwork to have that waived.  We closed my claim as I am no longer eligible and I am not looking for a job.  I haven't filed any claims in quite some time so it should be obvious to the ESC that I am not attempting to deceive them.  At the end of our conversation I said, "Okay, so now we're even.  I don't owe you anything and you don't owe me anything.  Right?"  To which she replied "Yes".  So, I wonder why when I checked my bank balance online this morning, I discovered the ESC had deposited over $700 in our account last night?  I guess I'll start calling again today and see how long it takes me to get a human so I can give the money back.  What a mess.


The insurance check arrived yesterday.  I wish people would understand it is so much easier to deal with me than it is to get Bud involved.  I may be sarcastic (no may be about it), but I seldom yell, I am even less likely to cuss, and I can be reasonable if you are not a total doofus. Bud, on the other hand, approaches almost every issue in bulldozer mode.  Right, wrong or somewhere in between, when Bud is finished with you, you need a good stiff drink and some rest in a nice quiet, dark room.  He's actually a wonderful person until you piss him off.  I used to do it for fun, but it got to be more trouble than it was worth.  He has enough fools in his life every day at work.  The last thing he needs is me being a jerk on purpose. 


Since I had still not received anything in writing from the Social Security Administration explaining the generous deposit they made to our checking account, I decided to call them.  I have heard nothing but horror tales about filing for disability with Social Security, but I must to say, I have not had a single problem with them.  Everyone has always been courteous and well informed.  They have returned my calls promptly, and have answered every single question to my satisfaction.  They may move a little slower than I would have liked, but I'm sure there are countless numbers of people who have dealings with Social Security.  I am one of the beginning Baby Boomers.  There are a bunch of us out here and we are all approaching retirement age.  What a nightmare that must be!  When I asked why the money was deposited before I was informed of the decision to approve my disability application, I was told they always send the money first because you can't eat the paperwork, but you can use the money to buy food.  I like that attitude.  I am one of the fortunate ones who does not have to rely on Social Security as my only source of income, but for those who do, having the money before the paperwork could make a big difference.


And finally I spent much of yesterday (and will spend a lot more time today) trying to reconstruct many of the documents that were lost when my hard drive crashed.  Bud is a member of the McLeansville Wildlife Club.  Most of the time he is also on the Board of Directors for the club.  They have pork shoulder cookings four or five times a year, and they sell the shoulders to make money for the club's charitable and special projects.  Bud is always in charge of the shoulder sales because basically we figured out a way to keep track of who ordered what and where each shoulder should go (we, of course do this on the computer).  Bud prints tags to put on each shoulder so it will end up with the correct buyer.  I also create all the posters and certificates and announcements and brochures for the club.  It is something I can do without much difficulty and it helps them a lot.  Of course, all of this was on the hard drive that bit the dust, so I must recreate most of this from memory.  Another big mess I've gotten myself into.


And that's how I spent my day yesterday.  I'll spend much of my day today in the same way.  But, I'm a whole lot more lighthearted.  The sun is shining (though it's only 49º).  I'm not so worried about the IRS.  The SSA is not an issue any longer.  The ESC is still a mess, but hey two outta three ain't bad.  And I now know more than anyone could ever want to know about a spicy little tomato sauce.

4 comments:

  1. How about

    No one close to being in their right mind would want to be on the wrong side of the IRS?

    Also, speaking of SSA...

    For fiscal year 2010 (ending September 30th), SSA distributed approximately $695,569,000,000 for benefits payments and disability insurance. The administrative overhead was about $6,397,000,000. That's a bucket of money but a shade under one percent. Seems reasonably efficient to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne, have I ever told you how much I love you? I can count on you to teach me new words, correct my grammar and provide me with interesting little tidbits of information to feed my trivia starved brain cells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a text message from my representative who is dealing with my Unemployment case that they reversed the decision that I owe them ove 8,000 and in turn that means they owe me 19,000 in extensions I would have been entitled to. The first 7 weeks they said they released the money and they additional 40 weeks, they need a computer geek (I apologize if you take offense to that) to back date the computer system so they can release those funds. Money is supposedly on its way. go figure...Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I am so happy for you. I know the money will be a big help. I don't take offense at being called a geek -- I am proud of it. I can think of a lot things to be that would be worse.

    ReplyDelete